Friday, August 9, 2013

Relief for Menopause Hot Flashes


At 41 years of age, I was put into surgical menopause due to a rare type of tumor that presented as being cancerous. I had my ovaries, uterus and cervix removed. I had read about the symptoms I was going to have to deal with, and had actually begun to experience some of the symptoms of premenopausal, and seemed to be managing just fine, so how much worse could it be?

I will always remember that first moment after surgery, and instantly feeling that I was lacking estrogen. The hot flashes were immediate and intense! They would come out of no where, with no warning, and make me feel as if someone started a fire a little too close to me.

Due to the fact that I had to wait for the biopsy results, I couldn't start estrogen replacement therapy, so I had no choice but to just deal with it. My only relief was a fan and a light nightie, heaven forbid if anyone put a blanket on me! Having to wait to start the therapy, as well as try to manage the symptoms, really began to take a toll, and my patience was running thin to put it mildly!

Not only was I still dealing with the post surgery recovery, but the continued and increasing menopause symptoms. Mood swings, irritability and insomnia to name a few.

Night time had to be the worst when trying to fall asleep. Tired from the day because it now seemed that I lacked energy, I couldn't wait to get to bed. The restlessness though caused by the hot flashes made sleeping near impossible, or at least being able to sleep for more than a couple hours consistently. Then once asleep only to wake in the middle of the night, drenched in sweat soaked pajamas! Then the whole rigmarole of getting up, getting changed, possibly even having to change the bedding, which of course only led to feeling irritable and cranky in the morning from the lack of sleep. This was the vicious cycle that continued for months!

My children and spouse were of course on the receiving end of my moodiness and I knew I had to find a solution, or at the very least a way to manage the symptoms.

I have always believed that everything happens for a reason, even this surgery, and now I know why. It was a friend, (whom is now my business partner) that suggested I try sleeping on a sheepskin bed pad. At the time I thought she was crazy. Seriously, Wool? Let's just add some fuel to my already burning fire! How could sheepskin possibly help me? She went on to explain how sheepskin has this amazing ability to regulate body temperature, so you are always kept at a perfect temperature. The sheepskin will keep you cool if that is what you're needing. The sheepskin fibres also absorb moisture so your kept dry and comfortable.

Well to my amazement it actually worked! Like a welcome breeze! (I must of course give note here, that sheepskin is also incredibly soft and comfortable).

Since then I have wanted to spread the word about sheepskin and the health benefits it offers.

I hope anyone who is suffering from menopause symptoms will try sheepskin and get back to enjoying life.

No comments:

Post a Comment