Friday, July 26, 2013

Yoga For Pre-Menopause Symptom Relief


Pre Menopause symptom relief is a buzz phrase doing the rounds at the moment. Many articles are appearing on television and in womens magazines giving advice to menopausal women and they seem to have a common theme, HRT.

Hormone replacement therapy appears to be the answer to everything menopausal but is it really. It seems to me that replacing hormones that your body has elected to stop supplying is just a way of delaying the inevitable, unless you want to be pouring chemicals into your body for the rest of your life.

I think there is a better, more natural and in the end a more satisfying solution to the question of menopause remedies and the answer for me was yoga.

I am not a "hippie," an eco-warrior and I am not particularly spiritual in the commonly accepted sense. I am however a busy working mother of three boys approaching manhood and wife to a golf fanatic. In essence, I am a normal mom.

A friend introduced me to the concept of yoga and despite my initial concerns I gave it a go. The menopause to me, meant headaches and fairly substantial weight gain with a resulting drop in self esteem and get up and go.

Sue, my friend is a slim, active mom and always seems to be on the go. She wore me out just talking about her day. I thought on many occasions, "That used to be me!" I was lethargic, overweight and the couch was fast becoming my best friend.

I realised I was on the downward slope to obesity and I really couldn't be bothered to do anything about it.

Then came my conversation with Sue. She told me outright that I was getting fat and lazy! This is a statement that only your very best friend can make without a cat fight ensuing.

Being a friend, she asked me how come I was letting it all go? I blamed the stress of work, being a mom and of course the menopause. Sue looked me in the eye and said she was going through it and it wasn't dragging her down. She had found a great menopause remedy.

As I mentioned Sue is super trim and fit so when she suggested I go to her yoga classes I was not keen to be surrounded by Sue look-a-likes. I compromised with a yoga DVD, it was quite good but it really didn't do much for me and it was full of trim young things, exactly what I wasn't.

No comments:

Post a Comment